Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I'm getting there...

Maybe I should re-read history and recall how long it took REAL railroads to get to where they were trying to go. Then I wouldn't feel the same way about my slow progress.

I HAVE managed to get the "engineering" sorted for the yard section, and yes, it will be removable. Thankfully the local building store offers up to fifteen free cuts on a piece of wood (or order), so I took my 4'x8' (or whatever the metric equiv. is!) and said "Six inch strips please. Lengthwise..."

So now in the loft there is a pile of:

6 x 5'11 3/8" x 6" strips (six feet long minus the thickness of two strips that go on the ends)
6 x 18" x 6" ends
10 x 17 3/8" x 6" "inner braces"
36 x 2" x 2" x5" corner braces

I'm figuring that a six-foot long section will allow me to move and transport the yard reasonable easily, without making too many joints in the complex parts of the track. I'll wedge/glue a 'top' of foam inside the frame, and leave it sticking an inch over the top of the frame, and flush with the sides. Unless it turns into too much of a PITA. Between all that cutting, and making some progress on the "downstairs" decorating, I didn't get it build this weekend. Oh well, it's all there ready for "next time"...

No comments:

Post a Comment