Thursday, June 17, 2010

Construction – Week One

I was off to a good start; after managing to decide a method to support a six-inch (about sixteen and a half centimeter) wide strip of foam baseboard and revising those plans it was all happening.Until tragedy struck:


My glue gun failed, probably due to a clog from dried glue in the nozzle. Still, I managed to get four sections glued, supports up for the fifth, and plotted the corner sections and curves out.




These views show the supports I installed; short ones are just wide enough to support the spans every two feet, and the longer runs between two of the roof supports to add a bit more structural integrity.



The foam by itself is rather plain; it is possible to imagine how this space can be used to run long trains. Two of my Atlas/Rivarossi SW1500 units, and eleven coal hoppers.

Notice how the train is dwarfed by even this initial section. I chose the code 83 track so these could run here, and I had a bunch of it left over from previous layouts. If I need more, it is more cost effect to source Peco locally that to import ME code 55, and I didn’t want to spent a year hand laying a couple of hundred feet of track!


When viewed from the far end you can’t even see the train!

No comments:

Post a Comment