Saturday, October 20, 2012

Completing the Main Line Tracks


Completed the first of two crossovers


I had these two Micro-Engineering code 70 turnouts left lying around from another project, and since most everything I own works with them, I used them in this location...

Preparing for the last crossover


I need this one to get trains in and out of all platforms in both directions. These lines both worked well, so I hopefully I won't mess it up too bad...

Cutting the first line


I found this tool, which is primarily used for soldering, to be a very useful thing for holding the flex that is already in place while I cut the section out for the first turnout...

Completed the first cuts


Cut out just enough to insert a Peco long-radius turnout.

And the second...


Both "holes" for the crossover are made. The fitting is actually harder than just putting them in when I was laying the track, but as you can see from this picture, it would have been backwards anyway...

Letting the glue dry


Fully fitted; once the glue dries I can solder the joints that need soldering, and power the section between this and the other crossover I put in, as both lines (to the right of this picture) are now isolated to avoid shorts from the power-routing turnouts...

And no unsightly kinks…


The tracks are both straight, so I managed to leave enough space between them to drop this crossover in now. It was a bit of a pain, but it looks like it works out OK. Will know tomorrow when I run some trains through it...

No comments:

Post a Comment